Vice President of Development Engineering
Borrego seeks a Vice President of Development Engineering (VPDE) to lead our project design and engineering functions. This is the senior technical management position in Borrego’s Development business. The VPDE is one of three positions that report to the General Manager of Development, and with nearly 50 managers and individual contributors, the one with the largest span of control in the Development business. Accordingly, we seek a professional manager first and foremost; experience with the subject matter is valuable, and you’ll definitely have to be comfortable with engineers to enjoy and be successful in this role, but the most important qualification we seek is sophisticated, experienced, professional management. This is a rare opening in a senior leadership position at one the nation’s best renewable energy developers. We seek a diverse candidate pool for this leadership role; we encourage expressions of interest from women and people of color for this critical position.
Borrego’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, and after 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the renewable energy industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Direct management of at least seven positions: Director of Development Engineering; Director of Civil Engineering; Development Engineering Operations Manager; and the Technical Leads on each of our four development teams.
- Senior accountability for all engineering needs of Borrego Development’s project portfolio, centering on civil engineering and system design, and including cost estimating, product review, production modeling, value engineering, and permitting.
- With Borrego growing fast – and expanding fast in terms of project types and geographies – lead Development Engineering’s navigation of rapid change.
- Help lead us to new markets and growth, especially our expansion into utility-scale solar and energy storage.
- Maintain and improve all Development Engineering tools and process controls.
- Close collaboration with the EVP of Project Development, EVP of Project Finance, and GM of Development in overseeing all aspects of Borrego’s Development business unit, and in sharing responsibility and accountability for all aspects of the business unit’s performance.
- Learn about and absorb the best elements of Borrego’s great culture, while bringing fresh perspective to our cultural and collaboration challenges, and leading improvement in those areas.
- Anything else that constitutes functional and cultural leadership of nearly half of Borrego’s Development business.
Candidate Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years experience in people management.
- 10+ years experience in engineering and technology fields, including direct supervision of multiple engineering disciplines.
- Experience with PV and/or energy storage system design and rules and regulation (e.g. local and national electric codes, permitting requirements, utility interconnection tariffs, independent system operator (ISO) requirements, etc.), and other aspects of large-footprint construction projects and the electricity system is a plus.
- Experience with Medium and/or High Voltage power systems.
- Experience building and leading a great engineering team, with outstanding references from colleagues at multiple organizational levels.
- Continuous improvement mindset and skills. Formal training in Lean, Six Sigma, or other improvement and management methodologies is a plus.
- Great teammate and colleague, and a pleasure to work with…at least most of the time!
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Borrego, we believe in having a diverse workforce and we value the perspectives, skills, experiences and contributions of all employees. We want all of our employees to feel that they belong, are included and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We acknowledge we are early in our journey and are not satisfied with our company’s or industry’s status quo. We are committed to proactively driving change in our own organization and pushing the industry and society to transform.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.