Transmission System Operator Sr.
Working in Transmission Operations at LCRA is working in the heart of the electric grid in Texas. The successful candidate must demonstrate the capability to contribute to a dynamic team that is instrumental in maintaining the safety of personnel, ensuring the reliability of the electric grid, driving continuous improvement, and assisting with the creation of automated solutions to solve operational challenges.
|What you will do:• Ensures the electric transmission system meets demand while maintaining system parameters such as frequency, line flows and transmission-level voltage within prescribed limits.
• Restores service (through SCADA and dispatch of field personnel) to transmission and substation facilities to reduce customer outage time and restore system integrity.
• Provides switch operation training for customers.
• Approves switching orders prior to implementation by less experienced Transmission System Operators, as required.
• Writes, checks, and issues switching orders for transmission and substation facilities consistent with the Transmission Services Safety and Health Handbook, LCRA Transmission Switching Procedures Manual, and System Operations Procedures to ensure safety of field personnel while making transmission and substation facilities available for maintenance and construction activities.
• Coordinates complex switching activities with other utilities to make certain safety and reliability are upheld.
• Ensures appropriate communications on all transmission events to LCRA System Operations management, LCRA Customers, and ERCOT.
• Reviews all written logs pertaining to daily events to ensure proper logging and readability. Ensures that proper documentation is completed to meet all regulatory requirements including but not limited to ERCOT and NERC. Monitors and reports all communication problems on RTU’s and the EMS to ensure vital communications are available for normal and emergency operations.
• Utilizes one-line diagrams as a tool in writing and checking switching orders.
• Coordinates and directs Black Start restoration activities between LCRA TSC field staff, LCRA QSE, LCRA generating units, Independent Power Producer (IPP) generating units, and ERCOT to restore service in the event of a state-wide blackout. Ensuring proper NERC and ERCOT documentation.
• Maintains working knowledge of all System Operations procedures, manuals, handbooks, plans and technology systems.
• Maintains NERC Certification (at the Transmission Operator level) to assure understanding of NERC policies and to meet NERC requirements
• Provides recommendations to System Operations management on operating procedures, EMS enhancements, and training topics to improve processes and procedures.
• Monitors weather conditions to ensure LCRA system operations readiness during adverse weather conditions.
• Maintains working knowledge of Real-Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA) and State Estimator tools and applications.
• Has the authority to shed firm load during ERCOT Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) event, or any events where shedding firm load is necessary to maintain the integrity of the transmission grid and/or for the safety of personnel and equipment.
• Has the authority to restore load following force majeure and mandated load shedding events.
|What qualifications you must have:– Nine or more years experience in real-time operation and or field operations and control of electric transmission and/or distribution systems, transmission equipment field operations or power plant operations.
– A degree(s) in electrical engineering technology, electrical technology, electronics or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.
– NERC System Operator Certification or equivalent
|What we offer you:– Competitive salary & medical, dental, vision and legal insurance
– 401(k) match up to 8%
– Paid time off, sick leave and disability benefits
– Wellness program including wellness incentive
– Extensive learning & development program
And more – all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
LCRA provides equal employment opportunities and a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at LCRA are based on business need, job requirement and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state legal requirements governing nondiscrimination in employment.