SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Senior Software Engineer is a hands-on technical role that designs, develops, delivers, and maintains technology applications and systems. Working within a team, develops front-end or back-end features and functionality, such as systems, interfaces, databases, business intelligence systems, or other applications or systems that deliver business value. May work on more complex products, such as those with dependencies on systems or applications owned by other teams, demonstrating a strong ability to solve challenging and unique technical problems facing the team.
As experienced member of software development teams, shares knowledge and provides mentorship to other software engineers. Demonstrates a strong ability to collaborate to develop and upgrade systems and application software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, and maintains code in accordance with business acceptance criteria. Works closely on testing efforts to routinely identify automation opportunities and to ensure deliverables meet user story (i.e., a unit of work that is delivered within a sprint – typically captured with a specific format) acceptance criteria. Provides technical input to translate business and functional requirements into documented technical specifications for reference or reporting. Drives adoption of strategies for continuous integration / continuous delivery within their team. End users for their work may include customers, enterprise business users, vendors, employees, or other teams within IT.
- Delivers end-to-end maintenance and support of all products and features owned by their product team, performing triage and responds to incidents as needed. Identifies opportunities for automation and integration for continuous improvement.
- Prepares for and leads reviews, walkthroughs, and demos of technical specifications and program code with other technical team members, communicating design, acceptance criteria, feature set, functionality, and limitations of applications to customers. Supports knowledge sharing amongst the team, and the development of other engineers in their technical skills through feedback, mentoring, paired programming, etc. Serves as a thought leader for further innovation and strategic opportunities.
- Works in alignment with agile mindset and values, working off user stories within an agile scrum team. Provides technical input into sprint planning, breaking down user stories and creating estimates, and planning to deliver within the sprint. Understands team dependencies and delivery impediments to proactively partner with other teams for effective delivery. Anticipates potential challenges that exist within the team’s area of ownership. Participates in team’s agile ceremonies, utilizing the five ceremonies involved in Scrum methodology to self-organize within their team and collaboratively drive development and the delivery of business value. Collaborates with internal and external team members across the technology organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).