Senior Risk Analyst – 21-60968
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Risk Management Department provides a risk management capability to support energy procurement, origination, investment and enterprise risk management. This position will provide a flexible, business focused service to help assess risk, validate models and value transactions, advising on quantitative and modelling issues as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and maintain time series price database.
- Undertake high quality risk assessments on procurement transactions and strategic initiatives/projects to ensure company makes sound business decisions; carrying out modeling and analysis as necessary.
- Assess and advise on risk-related aspects of commercial issues as required and facilitate ongoing development of risk control capability.
- Advise upon, and contribute to, ongoing model development for valuation and risk measurement, carrying out reviews and validation of models to help ensure best practice and company policy are followed.
- Communicate the results of analyses clearly, including to senior management, in a way which adds significant value to business decisions.
- Provide support to procurement groups on testing/validation of new methodologies, applications and models.
- Conduct analysis and independent reporting of daily electric and gas procurement risk exposure.
- Assist in Enterprise Risk Management effort.
- Prepare executive reporting package to describe current market conditions and their impact on our businesses.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree A strong, degree-level educational background in a highly quantitative subject (for example, mathematics, quantitative finance, operational research, science, engineering).
- 5+ A minimum of 5 years related experience is required.
- A good understanding of quantitative finance and related risk issues including derivative principles, option valuation, probability and statistics; coupled with a strong practical, and business focused, approach to modelling, valuation and risk management.
- Strong skills related to modelling and related programming (e.g. including model development experience; highly proficient in MS Excel and VBA/Macro programming; experience in SQL Server, exposure to Palisade Decision Tools ( @Risk, Risk Optimizer etc ) or Oracle Crystal Ball; experience of using monte-carlo simulation) and the ability to build, review and validate complex models.
- Ability to communicate complex issues in a clear, understandable manner with the front office quants team, traders, originators, asset developers, finance, Risk and other teams.
- High attention to detail in both numerical analysis and written work.
- Strong team working and influencing skills.
- Understanding of Econometrics and MATLAB programming experience is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Skills and knowledge for ensuring high data integrity in the risk system.
- Strong project management skills, able to lead projects from idea development to actualization.
- A good understanding of, or a keen interest and desire to learn about, energy markets is essential; experience in a high caliber energy-related environment would be highly desirable.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.