Senior Environmental Specialist (Power Plant Support)
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Ensure an advanced level of environmental compliance for assigned clients and sites/facilities by advising and assisting site management in all matters related to air, waste water, storm water, and hazmat/waste compliance. Manage and maintain site/facility compliance with environmental permits, plans, rules and/or regulations. Maintain and submit environmental data and reports as required by permits, plans, rules and/or regulations. Coordinate environmental sampling, testing and/or monitoring as required by permits, plans, rules and/or regulations. Facilitate and provide environmental compliance training as required by permits, plans, rules and/or regulations. Represent and provide an advanced level of support to clients in environmental matters as required during regulatory inspections, construction projects, etc. Respond to and report breakdowns, upsets, and/or hazmat/waste spills or releases as required by permits, plans, rules and/or regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and maintains site/facility environmental compliance with environmental permits, plans, policies, rules and/or regulations. Provide advanced guidance to clients to manage environmental issues.
- Maintains and submits environmental data and reports as required by permit, plan, rule and/or regulation.
- Coordinates environmental sampling, testing and/or monitoring as required by permit, plan, policy, rule and/or regulation.
- Facilitates and provides environmental compliance training as required by permit, plan, policy, rule and/or regulation.
- Represents clients in environmental matters as required during regulatory inspections, construction projects, etc.
- Responds to and report breakdowns, upsets, and/or hazmat/waste spills or releases as required by permit, plan, policy, rule and/or regulation.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental-related field, or equivalent training, certifications, and/or experience
- 5 years experience in an environmental compliance discipline, preferably related to electric and gas distribution, substation construction and maintenance, and/or facilities operations.
- Advanced and thorough understanding of federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Equally adept at working independently/autonomously (with little oversight and/or support) or as part of a team or group.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and multi-tasking skills to manage and/or participate in multiple projects, often simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills to interact with clients, consultants, subject matter experts, legal and regulatory inspectors/agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communications, including briefing/presentation skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and other standard software programs
- Proficient in (or able to quickly learn and use) different compliance software, emissions databases, and/or reporting tools.
- 10 years experience in an environmental compliance discipline, preferably related to electric and gas distribution, substation construction and maintenance, and/or facilities operations.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Environmental-related professional certifications desired.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.