SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Senior Domain Engineer – Enterprise Network Architecture and Engineering manages provisioning and configuration, ensuring the reliability of one or more systems, platforms or networks. Builds, runs, and maintains aspects of a critical IT service, making it available on a self-service basis to agile product teams. Works both collaboratively and independently within a team, drawing on their advanced knowledge of a specialist area in infrastructure, security or operations. Predicts and manages interdependencies and risks related to area of expertise and contributes to success of complex initiatives to develop technology and systems.
Works with Contractors through the external vendor manager directly or their back-office support for any assigned work, to lead status meetings with external vendor manager to review progress and quality of assigned work. Assists as needed with providing company protocols, scope of work, and contract adjustments where valid and approved by company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs installation and implementation of technology hardware, systems, and software related to their domain (which is defined as an organized set of components based on technology, business, or organizational similarities, typically with significant technology trends impacting its environment, e.g. Cloud, Cybersecurity). Drives installation, configuration, and maintenance of technology systems as applicable. Writes documentation for implementations of systems or technology within their specialization. Coordinates and implements technology changes according to delivery framework, for business critical functional areas while following established designs and configurations. Supports product teams with operational oversight and engineering consulting, contributing to development of applications and systems relevant to their domain.
- Performs analysis, diagnosis and repair of technology (systems, platforms, or networks), ensuring adequate performance and capacity management. Performs triage and responds to incidents for one area of specialization. Identifies opportunities for automation in routine or frequently reoccurring incidents. Coordinates operational oversight of timeliness and quality of vendors’ deliverables providing maintenance and support of technology and systems related to domain. Supports Technology Lifecycle Roadmap through discovery, analysis, and assessment.
- Evaluates needed system capabilities and assists in selection of technology (systems, platforms, or networks) to enable those capabilities. Provides technical insight to coordinate system, platform or network enhancements. Partners with other engineers and architects to document impacts and meet performance needs. Ensures adherence to operating company standards and security policies.
- Participates in scrum ceremonies (i.e., The 5 ceremonies involved in Scrum methodology: daily stand up, sprint planning, backlog refinement, demos, and retrospectives), providing domain specific information, informs sprint planning which is the initial planning event that begins a sprint and defines what can be delivered in a sprint. Actively supports product teams in writing user stories and defining user story acceptance criteria where domain is applicable. A user story is a unit of work that is delivered within a sprint, typically captured with a specific format including acceptance criteria that determine when the story can be accepted as done.
- Review and thoroughly understand Sempra’s Network Architecture Standards. Work with Product Owners and architects to communicate with internal business partners to collect requirements and deadlines for delivering network solutions. Works with architects to Design solutions for extremely high network availability and resiliency. Document and implement said designs; prepare materials for and perform hand-off to Operations team(s). Works with Scrum Master to Create high-level project plans that identify resource needs and critical paths. Works independently to lead technical projects to completion. Works on other IT partners to create configuration templates for deployment. Review HLD, LLD, and MOPs and evaluate against validated architectures & designs.
- Perform site surveys as part of preliminary engineering for design requirements for space, iron works and power. Coordinate and organize meetings with vendors and other groups to monitor project implementation progress. Develop/execute implementation and cut-over procedures. Determine/Provide space/power/assignments, fiber availability for MDF/telecom room, DSX (DS1/DS3), OC3/OC12, Fiber Distribution Panel, etc. Identify requirements and estimated dates for any items not presently available. Updates and monitor engineering plans, records, and trackers.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).