Senior Category Management Advisor – 21-59353
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
This senior position executes strategic and complicated contracting and sourcing events for multiple categories often involving high risk, high visibility, and/or high dollar requests. Coordinates with stakeholders and integrates their requirements into the sourcing and contracting processes. Develops and issues Request for Proposal (RFPs), Request for Information (RFIs) and Request for Quotations (RFQs). Coordinates and leads proposal reviews, evaluations and recommendations for contract awards. Works with Category Managers to support the development and execution of category plans that identify opportunities for operational efficiencies, drive cost savings, manage/mitigate risk, improve safety, drive innovation, and ensure the continuous development of categories managed. Provides guidance and mentors other Category Management Advisors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Executes strategic and complicated contracting and sourcing events for multiple categories often involving high risk, high visibility, and/or high dollar requests.
- Collaborates and coordinates with stakeholders to ensure objectives are met and value is added in the sourcing/contracting process.
- Develops and issues high value/risk RFPs, RFIs and RFQs. Coordinates and leads proposal reviews, evaluations, and recommendations for contract awards.
- Works with Category Managers to support the development and execution of category plans that identify opportunities for operational efficiencies, drive cost savings, manage/mitigate risk, improve safety, drive innovation, and ensure the continuous development of categories managed.
- Evaluates supplier qualifications and identifies alternative suppliers. Leads contract negotiations and works closely with internal support organizations including Legal, Finance, Business Units and Insurance & Risk Management to mitigate risk and exposure for the company.
- Develops and manages supplier alliance opportunities. Resolves conflict between suppliers and company.
- Interprets contractual obligations & positions, coordinates and manages conflict resolution with suppliers/contractors and stakeholders to drive resolution and formalize outcome contractually. Provides recommendation on the development and implementation of purchasing strategies for assigned categories. Analyzes internal spend data and market intelligence to strategically source needed services and materials. Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with teams and suppliers to reduce overall costs.
- Leads special projects as requested. Works on cross-functional teams to develop strategies or meet objectives.
- Meets with internal clients on a regular basis to understand client needs and to strengthen client relationships. Prepares meeting materials including presentations.
- Advises clients on proper contract management and administration policies and procedures. Ensures client compliance with appropriate procurement policies and procedures, standards for ethical behavior, and accounting policies.
- Maintains records to demonstrate that proper protocol is followed in the sourcing and contracting processes and in the implementation of the supplier relationship.
- Provides guidance and mentors other Category Management Advisors.
- Coordinates efforts for pilot programs or proof of concept initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Supply Chain, related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 5 years – Of directly relevant experience, preferably in category management, strategic sourcing, other procurement-related role, related analytical role, or through other materials and/or services purchasing experience.
- Advanced knowledge and skills with supplier negotiations (managing procurement activities, including both bids and RFPs for solution-oriented proposals).
- Working knowledge in Project Management.
- Capable of creating and negotiating commercial terms and conditions in standard contract templates without assistance from legal counsel, and advanced working knowledge with legal terms and conditions.
- Capable of reviewing & redlining statement of works to ensure responsibilities are clearly documented, acceptance criteria is present, deliverables are identified and tied to milestones, if applicable.
- Ability to review complex contractual problems and propose innovative solutions.
- Contract management skills, measuring and managing supplier performance.
- Persuasive communication skills (oral and written).
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient at Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Word).
- An MBA, J.D. or advanced degree is desirable.
- Project management expertise in the utility industry.
- Working understanding of utility and/or energy environments, operating procedures, and economics or regulation.
- Deep commodity or domain expertise with assigned company projects, including but not limited to: equipment, services (construction, EPC, professional, and technical), sourcing, and/or project management.
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) is desired.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) is desired.
- Travel is required to the field, job sites and supplier/contractor plants/facilities, domestically or internationally.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.