Regulatory Affairs Manager – 21-60206
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Responsible for executing the Company’s energy and environmental advocacy before key energy and air regulatory agencies with a particular focus on the California Energy Commission (CEC) and California Air Resources Board (CARB). Also responsible for engagement with the stakeholders that influence those regulatory agencies including customer groups, environmental groups, and other Administration officials. Specific responsibilities include engagement with CEC and CARB Commissioners, Board Members and staff of those agencies.
Position is a key player in identifying and advocating energy policies consistent with the Company’s policy priorities and ensuring such are included in regulatory agencies’ strategies and plans, and provides the practical leadership on advancing safe, clean, affordable and reliable energy policy initiatives at the CEC and CARB. This position will interact with a variety of constituencies to influence external stakeholders such as environmental, regulatory and other Administration policy personnel, to advocate for clean, affordable and reliable energy services including influencing rule development, implementation, and compliance. Position also interfaces with customer groups to assess their needs to comply with energy or environmental requirements, and to support and assist them in their use of various energy resources and related services in compliance with energy and environmental regulations.
Position works collaboratively with the State Government Relations team, leveraging relationships to each other’s advantage. Also works with cross functional teams addressing energy and environmental policy issues; represents Company interest’s in regulatory proceedings addressing energy and environmental policy issues consistent with Company objectives; works with environmental and business stakeholders; conducts outreach to external advocacy groups to support energy and environmental policy objectives before the agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represents company before CEC and CARB staff, Commissioners and Board Members and provides strategic and tactical external energy and environmental advocacy in regulatory proceedings to ensure access to clean, affordable and reliable energy resources, to support customer demands and to set the ground work for future business growth.
- Anticipates, monitors and proactively influences the outcome of environmental, GHG and air quality regulations and policies that may impact the marketability and use of our existing and future products and services. Works closely with environmental, GHG, air quality regulatory staff to ensure energy policies adopted by regulatory agencies are consistent with Company objectives.
- Manages company review and engagement of environmental and energy policy issues by subject matter experts coordinating with counterpart at SoCalGas for consistent messaging whenever feasible for united Sempra perspective; provide guidance on development of policy positions and communications materials on key policies.
- Identifies and obtains energy or air quality rule changes, rule implementation modifications, and compliance options to facilitate customer use of our existing, and future, products and services. Develops coalitions to support the continued availability and delivery of sufficient energy resources to meet customer expectations; advance initiatives that would support the advancement of Company objectives; expands outreach to environmental community and key personnel on energy and environmental policies.
- Identifies and coordinates regulatory strategies and proposals with respect to energy, GHG, environmental, and air quality issues affecting customers’ use of our existing and future products and services. Educates customer contact employees on energy and air quality issues so they can effectively assist customers to use our existing and future products and services
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies, Communications, Public Policy, Political Science, or Engineering .
- 8 years – experience in environmental, public or regulatory policy, preferably in the energy field.
- Experience engaging with regulatory or other public policy makers and significant familiarity with the processes at the CEC and CARB as well as experience in representing policy interests before public jurisdictions.
- Master’s Degree in Related Fields.
- Comprehensive writing and strong oral communications skills.
- Ability to set priorities, coordinate and synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Perform under extreme time constraints and quickly forge new business and political relationships with external and internal audiences.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.