Rate Strategy Project Manager – II (Can be filled at a higher role) #21-58660
NOTE: Can be filled at a higher level role.
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means 40% of the energy that SDG&E delivers to customers comes from renewable sources, exceeding California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. We are modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Manage and direct large-scale, major rate strategy projects within the Customer Pricing department such as those related to large customer groups, rate reform and energy storage. Responsible for the development of work scope related to the Company strategic rate filings and the oversight of multiple regulatory deliverables related to electric rates, rate design, and customer bill impacts. Ensure rate strategy projects are developed in a manner consistent with the compliance requirements related to multiple regulatory and legislative proceedings associated with electric rates and rate design and the Company’s strategic initiatives. Represents the Company as a subject matter expert in electric rate design and mitigation of cost shift.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate all activities leading to the successful completion of the Company’s strategic rate filings including project scoping, and timelines. Develop and maintain the compliance requirements related to multiple regulatory and legislative proceedings associated with electric rates and rate design. Provide direction to internal and external stakeholders, consultants, and project team. Serves as the primary point of contact on the Company’s strategic rate filings representing the Company’s position to ensure consistency with both internal and external stakeholders, including the FERC, the CPUC, the CEC and other regulatory agencies, external parties/intervenors, as well as across other business units including internal and external communications.
- Serve as the Company’s subject matter expert representing the Company’s interests on issues related to the Company’s strategic efforts related to rate design and mitigation of cost shift including providing testimony as a witness in various state and federal regulatory commissions, testifying at hearings and providing witness preparation support. As the Company’s expert witness on these issues, takes lead responsibility for representing the Company’s position on these issues including provide recommendations and analytical support to various areas (e.g. Business Units, Case Management and Legal) in the development of testimony, rebuttal testimony, discovery responses, cross-examination of witnesses, lobbying and negotiation positions and settlement agreements, and executive briefings.
- Develops analysis and may oversee the development of analysis necessary to support the Company’s Strategic efforts related to rate design and mitigation of cost shift including rate and customer bill impacts in an accurate and timely manner ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and consistency with the Company’s strategy initiatives.
- Monitors market, regulatory and legislative environments to ensure consistency across issues and across business units and assesses implications of external events on corporate interests. Develops management recommendations concerning Sempra Energy’s regulatory policies and strategies related to rate design and mitigation of cost shift to maximize both shareholder and customer value.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, accounting, statistics or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Requires a minimum of 6 years of related experience and a Bachelor’s in economics, finance, accounting, statistics or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Project management knowledge required.
- Working knowledge of rate design, utility and regulatory economics, and electricity supply and demand is required.
- Knowledge of utility cost structure, marginal and embedded costs, utility cost accounting and regulatory accounting requirements is required.
- Knowledge of CPUC and FERC regulations and policies regarding rate design, cost allocation, marginal cost, service and rate unbundling and other rate and regulatory-related and often evolving issues is required.
- Must be able to assess the potential financial impact of a project to the Company.
- Must possess the ability to review complex problems and propose innovative solutions.
- An MBA or advanced degree is highly desirable.
- Project management certification is preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.