SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Product Owner Team Lead is a member of an agile team, primarily responsible for defining user stories [i.e., a short description of a unit of work to be delivered within an agile sprint, detailing the desired system or software functionality written in the user’s language] and prioritizing backlog of user stories based on value for customer. Has frequent customer-facing interactions to draft objectives and strategies and drive innovation through products or services.
As a team lead and representative of the delivery team, navigates increasingly complex IT and Business environments with more cross-team or external dependencies [i.e., reliance and interrelatedness with other systems, applications, platforms, and workstreams which result in a more challenging product to manage due to the additional risk], including people, process and technology, and stakeholder interest for a more complex product or capability. They maximize business value within a product or capability, ensuring the team focuses on a mix of net new development, improvement, support, and innovation.
As a supervisor, provides oversight to members of agile teams, helping to ensure that agile teams are prioritizing work effectively, and managing their delivery sprints to meet expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Captures and documents user stories to inform priority and sprint planning. As the owner of a more complex product, may capture stories from multiple stakeholders, and take in stores from other teams. Defines stories and features according to quality standards for clarity. Acts as a trusted advisor and liaison between the team and its stakeholders. Proactively aligns with business partners to understand business value resulting in a clear sprint plan and priority. Collaborates across product teams to ensure that cross-team dependencies are understood and managed. Communicates the value of complex stories to the scrum team and ensures user stories are well-formed with clear acceptance criteria. Manages team sprint plan and a healthy backlog, a list of prioritized work that is well defined and ready to be delivered within a two-week sprint.
- Defines and communicates the team’s roadmap and vision for a 3-6 month time horizon. Manages complex business needs, relationships, and more complex products, with full authority. Identifies and qualifies potential opportunities with the business clients for the backlog. focusing on quarterly planning. Ensures that the value delivered is measurable. Drives communication of product’s roadmap with an eye towards continuous innovation and improvement. Proactively champions new delivery opportunities.
- Maintains a healthy backlog of work for the team, focused on business value. Engages with business stakeholders to understand their needs. Drives prioritization of work items to focus on business value delivered, balancing net new development opportunities against innovation, improvement and product support. Understands and communicates the value of the user stories. Drives demos and creates feedback loops between the team and their stakeholders/clients. Provides feedback to the team on the work completed. Reviews and accepts user stories and features as completed, ensuring that they have met all acceptance criteria and the needs of the end-user.
- Prepares for and participates in agile ceremonies. Writes features and creates a quarterly plan for a more complex product. Partners with other Product Owners to plan around dependencies and resolve impediments. Participates in planning activities across the enterprise, including group-level planning activities that involve the work of multiple agile teams, such as quarterly planning or program increment (PI) planning. Participates in group events to review outputs and progress across teams. Writes features [i.e., a grouping of work defined in an agile way and made up of individual units of work that can be performed within a two-week sprint] and creates a quarterly plan for a more complex product.
- Acts as direct supervisor to a team of employees. Holds responsibility for performance management activities, addressing staffing needs, people-related administrative activities, managing employee relations, and other people management duties as required. Supports team members in their individual development and continuous improvement, including goal setting and training plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).