Principal Accountant Supervisor – 21-60573
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
This is a highly specialized position which has the responsibility for serving the Company as a lead professional regarding complex financial, regulatory, reporting and accounting issues and projects.
Works with internal and external customers to identify their needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts in a lead professional capacity possessing a high level of specialized knowledge and recognized as an expert/authority in their area.
- Applies expertise to address and evaluate significant business needs/problems and complex issues to ultimately provide recommended solutions.
- Researches, analyzes and evaluates financial, regulatory and accounting proposals, enacted requirements and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Accounting Standards Board, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, California Public Utility Commission, etc. for financial, regulatory, accounting and operational impacts, and recommend appropriate strategy and action to contest and comply.
- On specific issues, assignments and/or projects will act as a lead supervising the work of subordinate employees, providing on-the-job training, coaching and counseling.
- On specific issues, assignments and/or projects will act as a corporate lead on cross-departmental teams.
- Reviews and/or conducts specialized studies related to the more technical accounting operations and financial transactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferably in accounting, finance, economics, related business administration field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 8 years – Related experience including senior public and/or professional accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is highly desirable. Working knowledge of other Microsoft products.
- Possesses a high level of specialized knowledge regarding financial, accounting and regulatory matters and is considered an expert/authority in their areas.
- Able to convey in original written correspondence and reports, complex technical matter in a clear and concise manner, adapted to customer needs.
- Understanding of enterprise-wide financial implications and ability to interpret accounting, regulatory and financial theories and concepts, and develop alternative solutions to the company’s current business and regulatory issues to enhance competitive positioning and maximize shareholder value.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of accounting methods and techniques and the ability to apply both in problem solving.
- Skills in leadership and teambuilding, organizing, planning, controlling, coordinating, and delegating to effectively manage
- assignments and projects.
- Able to convey complex technical information in a clear and concise communications manner to technical and non-technical audience.
- Possess strong negotiation and interpersonal skills to persuade and influence those with divergent opinions toward consensus.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Advanced understanding of the interrelationship of utility rate making, tax, and finance concepts.
- Technical proficiency in all FASB, Regulatory and SEC accounting and reporting issues applicable to the company and its affiliates must be maintained.
- Master’s Degree MBA and/or other advanced degrees.
Licenses and Certifications
- CPA, CMA and/or other professional certificates is desired.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.