NERC System Operator Trainer
About San Diego Gas & Electric
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
Develops and delivers training to ensure SDGE transmission system operating personnel are adequately trained consistent with FERC, NERC, WECC, CAISO, and SDGE operating standards/procedures and training requirements. Monitor the ever-changing regulatory and operational training requirements. Continually update documentation and training materials/efforts. Develop and revised as needed training requirements. Train system operators to conform to the new requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops in-house training course content with instructor training guides for initial and continual training and obtain and maintain NERC approval for courses and continuing education credits. Provides assistance in guiding vendor efforts to develop additional detailed training material. Review and revise standard operating documents to support training activities. Develops and implement training materials necessary to deliver applicable training online. Develop NERC required simulations on the Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS).
- Delivers classroom led instruction of in house and vendor NERC approved courses for initial and continual training, including Dispatcher Training Simulator.
- Ensures NERC compliance with reliability standards pertaining to NERC certified operator training requirements for System Operators. Tracks compliance with and submit applicable compliance reports. Periodically reviews training modules and reliability standards for applicability and compliance and modify as necessary.
- Participates in applicable regional trainer activities. Provides authorization training to field crews throughout the company as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- S. Diploma/GED is required.
- 5 years – NERC certified System Operator experience is required.
- Detailed knowledge of electric power system operations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information in a clear concise manner to the learning level of the student.
- Demonstrated ability in decision-making, prioritizing activities, coordination of training activities and multi-tasking.
- Proficient in computer applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point, etc.) and have a working knowledge of EMS/SCADA.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree is desired.
- Previous experience as an instructor is highly desirable.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Completion of NERC System Operator certification is required to continue in the position is required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Competitive salaries
- Performance Incentives
- Cash balance pension program
- 401k with employer match
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision
- Generous vacation and flex days
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer incentive program, and scholarship programs
- Substantial educational reimbursement
- Employee Professional Development
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On site cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages