Market & Policy Analysis Manager
Market & Policy Analysis Manager
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Manages a group responsible for a broad range of policy and implementation issues including interfacing with CAISO and the CPUC, creating policy and implementing strategic decisions regarding CAISO/CPUC market policy and procurement related initiatives. Acts as the lead for interacting with CAISO on policy, initiatives and stakeholder issues related to CAISO market proceedings, and revisions to tariffs and operating procedures. Collaborates with Operations Manager and Electric and Fuel Trading Manager to monitor CAISO and CPUC rulings and implement regulations that govern operations in the CAISO market. Responsible for developing and drafting policy documents, comments on CPUC proceedings, strategic legislation and providing executive briefings on key items.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Market Structure: Manage and participate in CAISO relate stakeholder processes that impact day-ahead, HASP and real-time markets, Standard Capacity, CRR allocations, Resource Adequacy and other CPUC, FERC, and CAISO requirements and initiatives. Expert familiar with CAISO tariff issues and pending changes to market structure including New Market, CRRs, Convergence Bidding and Capacity Markets. Monitor and make recommendations on issues that impact SDG&E, identify issues that could negatively effect SDG&E customers/advocate for company at the CAISO, ensure that company is prepared for all changes from a process, IT, training and operational perspective. Manage monthly and annual RA compliance.
- Analysis: Direct and oversee development of software tools and perform analysis of New Market data and develop strategies for continually improving and updating demand and supply bidding strategies in New Market.
- Direct energy administrator(s) in performance of analysis and implement process improvements.
- Regulatory: Monitor CPUC and FERC regulatory proceedings and identify issues that impact SDG&E procurement activities and participate in proceeds as required. Manage monthly and annual RA requirements and filings.
- Special projects / Reporting: Use accumulated knowledge of dispatch activity, portfolio design and all governing tariffs/regulations to support special projects such as asset/transaction valuations and transactions, development and drafting of company positions in regulatory proceedings and testimony, and support of periodic CPUC and internal audits of dispatch functions.
- Liaison within dept. and with outside groups (contracts, credit, risk control and settlements groups as necessary) for communication of procurement activities/data and perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or economics and/or sufficient background within these disciplines
- Minimum 3-5 years of prior supervisorial experience
- Minimum 8 – 10 years’ experience in a department that includes extensive and detailed knowledge of CAISO markets, including CAISO tariff and regulatory requirements, operations, settlements, and market analysis and power contracts.
- Detailed knowledge of the obligations and responsibilities of a Scheduling Coordinator under the CAISO Tariff and detailed knowledge of the CAISO system for scheduling and dispatch.
- Extensive knowledge of and be an expert related to all quantitative elements of the IOU procurement portfolio, PCI systems, expert in Excel modeling and other analytical tools necessary to direct the detailed analysis of CAISO systems and bidding results and potential impacts on SDG&E ratepayer costs.
- Excellent communication, math, and logic skills including strong quantitative and qualitative analytical abilities.
- Expert computer skills with spreadsheets and the ability to communicate complex positions in a clear and concise manner.
- Post-graduate degree
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Competitive salaries
- Performance Incentives
- Cash balance pension program
- 401k with employer match
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision
- Generous vacation and flex days
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer incentive program, and scholarship programs
- Substantial educational reimbursement
- Sempra University for professional development
- Backup daycare for children and elderly family members
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On site cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages