Grid Outage Coordination Supervisor
About San Diego Gas & Electric
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Manages a team that provides essential support in managing the Electric Transmission Grid in a safe, reliable and economic manner. Manages through subordinate employees the following responsibilities: Evaluates and processes outage requests, tracks capital project movement, identifies power system changes and performs a daily contingency analysis study used to identify operating concerns. Develops a final daily schedule of construction and maintenance activities supported by real-time operating solutions to maintain the electric Transmission System in a normal state within the criteria set forth in the Grid Control Standard Practices. Ensures all CAISO Outage Coordination submittal requirements are met.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages outage coordination team including Outage Coordinators and NERC Certified Transmission System Operators engaged in coordinating and approval of outages on the electric transmission system to operate the system in a safe and reliable manner while meeting company project and financial goals. Directs hiring and promoting subordinate employees; the training of subordinates; the assignment, mentorship, and review of their work; and the compliance with Company affirmative action programs to achieve equal employment opportunity objectives. Supports other department managers with all other Electric Grid Operations hiring efforts.
- Manages and conducts daily Transmission System power flow studies to identify thermal and reactive security limit violations that do not meet Grid Control criteria. Conducts operating studies, utilizing advanced applications, to monitor and ensure system reliability and anticipates and reacts to contingency risks for unscheduled transmission events or requests. Coordinates operating activities with the CAISO and other interconnected transmission entities to ensure compliance with all standards, policies and operating procedures applicable to the SDG&E system. Analyzes load forecasts, generation resource adequacy, and schedules outages to ensure grid reliability and adapts plans to address current day situations as necessary. Participates in the development of procedures and adheres to and supports Grid Control Standards, Policies and Procedures to ensure system reliability. Develops remedial action solutions to eliminate or reduce operating security violations to meet Standard Practice guidelines. Enhances Transmission System reliability to the extent possible without adversely impacting productivity and economics. Recommends changes to the daily Transmission Outage Request if it is determined that an unnecessary security risk exists that could cause the loss of firm load. Calculates and imposes operating limits on internal transmission lines, intercompany paths, generation resources and voltage levels to eliminate or reduce operating security limits. Determines the amount of daily San Diego area generation required to maintain Transmission System reliability. Coordinates the most appropriate must-run generation dispatch using SDG&E and California’s Independent System Operator guidelines. Provides an accurate forecast of the system area load profile that will be used in the security analysis process. Understands and complies with the California Independent System Operator and SDG&E operating procedures.
- Evaluates, screens and ensures implementation of daily maintenance and construction outage requests. Develops the daily Transmission Outage Request program adhering to Grid Control scheduling criteria and optimizing system reliability. Develops and recommends solutions to resolve conflicting scheduling requests to increase productivity. Coordinates with construction and maintenance personnel to identify unscheduled or real time opportunities to perform work on already outaged facilities. Develops plans to outage and restore facilities that require special testing or switching coordination. Verifies that all related documentation is complete, accurate and clear. Makes notification to all necessary parties of final outage approvals, denials and constraints. Arranges all necessary manpower requirements to implement the daily Transmission Outage Request. Represents Grid Control Transmission Scheduling at meetings involving the coordination of maintenance and construction outages. Maintains short, medium and long-term outage plans and historical databases. Submits outage request plans to the California Independent System Operator within required time frames.
- Utilizes Energy Management System related software application programs (power network applications, transmission security management, dispatch training simulator, network status processor, equipment outage scheduling) as related to Grid Control real-time operations. Develops analytical spreadsheets to produce reports using power system data stored in the Plant Information data collection node. Provides technical advice to real-time operations personnel related to unscheduled outages, forecasts and power flow program usage. Represents Grid Control at meetings involving the development and coordination of capital construction projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- H.S. Diploma/GED is required.
- 6+ years – related experience typically gained through power systems operations is required.
- Previous outage coordination and/or supervisory/leadership experience in a related operating or engineering field is required.
- Must have experience in power system control area concepts, interconnected operations, power grid circuit analysis, principles and procedures is required.
- Must have expertise in power system operations, principles and procedures.
- A thorough understanding of electric system dynamics, transmission apparatus, protective relaying schemes, transmission switching procedures and control schemes specifically relating to transmission reliability is required.
- Strong analytical/logical reasoning ability is required to be successful in the position.
- Must be motivated self-starting individual.
- Must be able to multi-task and work under time-sensitive / high-pressure situations requiring the ability to make critical decisions in a fast-paced organization.
- Must possess the ability to work alone as well as work efficiently within a team environment.
- Must understand the dynamics of the SDG&E Transmission System and the surrounding service areas.
- Must have an understanding of electric utility installations and components to support efficient coordination of electric transmission maintenance and construction activities.
- Must have a working knowledge of California Independent System Operator operations as they apply to SDG&E.
- Must be knowledgeable of Grid Control Standard Practices, Control Procedures and related documentation.
- Must be able to read and interpret electric diagrams, maps and schematics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Requires effective leadership abilities and the skill to organize a diverse team (operators, engineers, field personnel) in order to resolve emergency events.
- Must be able to read and understand technical drawings and documentation.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills and a clear leadership presence.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering is desired.
- 10+ years – Directly related experience, such as power system operations, power plant operations, substation operations, and transmission operations.
- Experience with Power Network Applications, Training Simulators and Network Status Processor development, training experience and group presentations is desirable but not required.
- In-depth knowledge of SDG&E’s electric grid system and operations is a plus.
Licenses and Certifications
- Successful candidate must hold NERC Reliability Coordinator Certification or obtain certification within 9 months.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Competitive salaries
- Performance Incentives
- Cash balance pension program
- 401k with employer match
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision
- Generous vacation and flex days
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer incentive program, and scholarship programs
- Substantial educational reimbursement
- Employee Professional Development
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On site cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages