Fleet Maintenance Technician – 21-60084
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Responsible for the overall maintenance and repair of the company light, medium and heavy duty vehicles, construction vehicles, work equipment, and the security of company assets assigned to the garage. Responsible for the appropriate use of company resources while maintaining compliance with all governmental regulations and corporate policies and procedures; perform other related duties as assigned or required.
- H.S. Diploma/GED High School or equivalent.
- Must have good safety habits.
- Must have demonstrated a thorough working knowledge of the operation, maintenance, diagnosis and repair of vehicles, work equipment, and specialized tools through formalized training.
- Must have Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master Mechanic Certification, Automotive Technology Certified AS/AA Degree or Automotive Service Excellence Certifications (ASE) for brakes, engine, electrical and suspension.
- Must obtain and maintain a Class A California driver’s license with Hazmat, Tanker, Doubles and Passenger endorsements.
- Must have a working knowledge of the principles of hydraulic systems including reading and understanding schematics and the proper diagnosis and repair of hydraulic components.
- Must be capable of performing heavy manual labor as required (capable of lifting more than 75 lbs. without restriction).
- Must have the ability to absorb and successfully complete formal technical training sessions.
- Must have a good attendance record.
- Must be capable of effective verbal, written and electronic communication.
- Must be capable of working without direct supervision.
- Must be willing to work hours as directed.
Candidates should be aware that this position, as is the case in most positions within the Company, requires successful bidders to work overtime, which includes extended days, call-outs for emergency work, weekend work and holiday work.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the California Public Utilities Commission have adopted regulations governing the control of drug use by persons in certain job classifications. This job is covered by that regulation (49 CFR 199) and candidates who are not already in a covered job classification will be tested for the presence of prohibited drugs and must meet DOT standards before appointment to the job. Candidates who do not successfully pass the drug test will be required to enter a drug rehabilitation program as a condition of returning to their present job. Once in the job, Federal Highway Code (391) requires random drug and alcohol testing for this position.
This is a union represented position, represented by the IBEW Local 465.
**PLEASE NOTE: There is a Red Technical/Specialist Battery Aptitude Test Requirement. All candidates interested in applying for this position must obtain a passing score of the Red Technical/Specialist Battery Aptitude Test.
Additional information & study guides can be found at http://sdge.com/careers/job-application-process/test-study-guides
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.