Energy Services Specialist I (Call Center, #21-58310)
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means 40% of the energy that SDG&E delivers to customers comes from renewable sources, exceeding California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. We are modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Primary Responsibilities of an ESS
- Support a variety of customer communication channels (phone, live chat, and email) in a fast-paced inbound call center environment.
- Be an energy expert advisor for residential and commercial customers.
- Advise customers on rate components, rate options, energy efficiency, demand response programs, energy conservation, applicable rebates and solutions.
- Discuss options to help customers best manage their energy usage.
- Answer general/customer billing inquiries
- Respond to emergency requests
Successful Candidates Must Have
- Three years of experience in customer service or sales required
- High School diploma or GED required; College education preferred
- Strong analytical skills; ability to comprehend and explain complex concepts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain positive customer interactions and value the customer experience
- Bilingual speaking proficiency in Spanish/English a plus
What’s Great About It
- Professional call center environment from attire to communication.
- Pride in working for a reputable, award-winning company with a mission and values you care about
- Abundant opportunities for promotions throughout the company; we’re hiring because we’re promoting!
- Typical advancement opportunities include: Billing, Project Management, Operations, Clean Transportation, Customer Programs, and Outreach
Pay and Benefits
- Competitive full-time hourly wage starting at $25.50 with annual performance reviews
- Annual performance incentive bonus at 10-15% of your salary
- Cash balance pension plan for retirement
- 401k with employer matching
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision plans
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Discounted utility bill after a year
- Vacation, sick, flex days and reserve time off
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer opportunities, and scholarship programs
- Sempra University for professional growth
- Backup care for dependents
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On-campus cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages
What I Should Consider Before Applying
- Flexible schedule means your schedule will fluctuate based on business need:
- You will work every other weekend
- On the weekends you work, you will work one weekend day – Saturday OR Sunday
- Your two days off will not be consecutive most of the time
- Your start and end times change from week to week and will include mornings and nights
- You are expected to be available to start as early as 6am and end as late as midnight
- You will know your schedule 2 weeks in advance
- Your work location will be Kearny Mesa, El Cajon or Chula Vista depending upon business need
|Week 1||8:00am – 5:00pm||off||7:00am – 4:00pm||7:00am – 4:00pm||7:00am – 4:00pm||7:00am -4:00pm||off|
|Week 2||off||off||9:00am – 6:00pm||9:00am – 6:00pm||9:00am – 6:00pm||9:00am – 6:00pm||9:00am – 6:00pm|
|Week 3||off||2:00pm – 11:00pm||11:30am – 8:30pm||11:30am – 8:30pm||off||11:30am – 8:30pm||11:30am – 8:30pm|
|Week 4||off||off||7:30am – 4:30pm||7:30am – 4:30pm||7:30am – 4:30pm||7:30am – 4:30pm||7:30am – 4:30pm|
*Please note this is only an example of a typical schedule and not the exact schedule you would have
- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the California Public Utilities Commission have adopted regulations governing the control of drug use by persons in certain job classifications. This job is covered by that regulation (49 CFR 199) and candidates will be tested for the presence of prohibited drugs and must meet DOT standards before appointment to the job. Once in the job, successful candidates will be subject to random drug testing. The passage of Ballot Proposition 64, which legalized the use and possession of marijuana for adults under California law does not alter SDG&E’s prohibition against employees using or possessing marijuana.
- Candidates selected for testing must pass a series of aptitude and skills tests that evaluate areas such as computation, language skills, following written directions, coding and customer service simulation. The Yellow Battery Test study guide can be found here.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.