Energy Scheduler – 21-60255
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Work rotating 12 hour shifts where primary responsibilities are to perform scheduling, bidding, trading, outage management and other tasks in the CAISO hour-ahead and real-time markets to optimize resources and minimize cost to load.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Scheduling: Analyzes and updates load forecast incorporating weather in the CAISO Hour Ahead Market. Updates bids and schedules in PCI for SDGE resources in accordance with gas prices, positions, contract requirements and other factors. Monitors real-time dispatch instructions by the CAISO to ensure least cost dispatch. Submits and manages SLIC cards for generator constraints/outages and to limit infeasible CAISO dispatches. Submits supplemental bids to manage gas supply or price changes.
- Dispatch: Communication with and notification to generators of schedules of CAISO dispatch instructions and changes to schedules on an hourly basis. Maintains detail log of trades, market conditions, and operational events by inputting information into the Elogger. Scheduling of PIRP resources. Submits Ancillary Service bids and input and dispatch of generation based on Ancillary Service awards. Manages intertie schedule cuts and tagging functions using supplied software programs.
- Support: Learns and periodically back up Day Ahead scheduling desk. Responds to various data requests that require data retrieval, analysis and formatting. Reviews tags, SLIC cards, bids, schedules and forecasts to perform quality assurance. Assists risk and settlements to resolve issues involving schedule cuts and trade discrepancies. Participates in assigned training. Maintains compliance with all CAISO, CPUC, FERC and CFTC requirements and regulations.
- Trading: Records and assess market prices to identify trends and volatility. Negotiates and executes both physical and financial hourly transactions, and schedules market energy trades as required.
- Gas Scheduling: Assists electric fuels traders in after-hours gas scheduling.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- H.S. Diploma/GED High School or equivalent.
- 3 years – related work experience required
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Excel, Word, Access and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, such as business or finance.
- Experience in electric scheduling and/or trading, transmission or distribution.
- Experience with CAISO MRTU user interface applications, PCI applications, and OATI Tagging System is beneficial.
- Knowledge of CAISO and WECC scheduling practices is desirable.
- Knowledge of economic dispatch theory highly desirable.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.