Electric Real-Time Pricing and Analysis Manager
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business.
Oversee development of pricing structure of electric rates for SDG&E’s customers consistent with the Company’s strategic customer pricing needs. Includes oversight of development of real-time pricing strategies and analysis needed for the development of electric rates for regulatory filings before the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Serve as the Company’s subject matter expert in areas of real-time pricing, rate design, revenue allocation, cost studies and customer bill impacts.
Real-time pricing rates can be used to indicate the impact that electricity use at a given time has on the cost of providing that electricity. With real-time rate data, customers can make data-informed decisions on the timing and amount of electricity use, which may better serve the electric grid as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the Company’s subject matter expert representing the Company’s interests on issues related to real-time pricing, rate design, revenue allocation, cost studies and customer bill impacts including providing testimony and testifying as a witness in various state and federal regulatory commissions and monitoring industry trends in the areas of real-time pricing, rate design and cost study methodologies. As the Company’s expert witness, takes lead responsibility for representing the Company’s position on these issues including provide recommendations and analytical support to various areas (e.g. Business Units, Case Management and Legal) in the development of testimony, rebuttal testimony, discovery responses, cross-examination of witnesses, lobbying and negotiation positions and settlement agreements, and executive briefings. Real-time pricing, under certain circumstances, provides benefits such as reducing grid costs, reducing the likelihood of rolling blackouts and increasing electricity use during times when there is a surplus of renewable energy available on the grid.
- Oversee development of real-time pricing, rate design proposals and related testimonies and workpapers. Coordinate with internal and external stakeholder groups to ensure interests of stakeholder groups are addressed. This includes facilitating working group meetings to ensure stakeholder involvement and input on real-time pricing rate designs.
- Oversee the development of costs studies needed for the development and design of cost-based and real-time electric rates.
- Serve as primary point of contact to both internal and external stakeholders to ensure consistency of the Company’s real-time rate strategy messaging for the assigned projects across the various rates-related regulatory proceedings.
- Manage and motivate staff to ensure accuracy, timeliness and consistent quality of work product. Train and develop staff to become subject matter experts in the areas of real-time pricing, rate design, revenue allocation, cost studies, and customer bill impacts, the development of complex models, and evaluating and overseeing process and procedures to ensure they are transparent, consistent, and compliant.
- Manage the development of testimony and analysis supporting applications for SDG&E’s real-time pricing rate design applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree Business, economics, finance, accounting, related field of study and/or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 8 years of related experience in energy markets, energy market settlements, regulated utilities and/or financial modeling.
- 3 years of supervisory or lead experience.
- Knowledge of the energy business including operational requirements, commodity markets, customer drivers and the regulatory process. Knowledge of key regulatory, legislative and competitive issues facing the Company and its customers
- Understanding of tariffs and regulatory proceedings related to rate design and marginal cost studies, including relevant legislative matters and other electric utilities rate proceedings and positions.
- Project management and analytical skills.
- Ability to set priorities, coordinate and synthesize complex information from a variety of sources.
- Must be able to work effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to assess and anticipate the needs of the organization.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills required. Must be able effectively communicate complex issues to stakeholders of all levels.
- Master’s Degree Business, economics, finance, accounting or related field.
- Experience as a witness in regulatory proceeding.
- Related professional certification.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.