Electric Metering Operations Manager
Electric Metering Operations Manager
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Support Advanced Metering Operations and company owned electric vehicle (EV) chargers by ensuring that there are adequate resources and planning for testing, repair, deployment and maintenance of all electric meters, equipment and associated EV chargers in SDGE’s service territory. Maintain safe working environment, budget allocations, coordinate and address compliance requirements, union negotiations and implementing/developing strategic plans for major deployments and upgrades of electric meters and EV chargers. Train technical employees and complete special project metering inventory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for effectively/efficiently carrying out all aspects of shop testing, field installation, and maintenance of electric metering and EV charging systems. Manage the Instrument Shop, which is responsible for maintaining and repairing all SDGE’s electric and electronic equipment/instruments. Responsible for ensuring electric compliance in accordance with Company policies, procedures, and state (CPUC) and federal regulations.
- Develops, implements, and oversees strategies and tactics designed to optimize field resources installing and maintaining electric infrastructure to achieve organizational and corporate level business goals. Drives and facilitates creative and innovative continuous improvement in technology, work methods and process advancements throughout the organization. Oversight of field and training supervisors who hire, train and provide workflow direction and coaching.
- Liaison with internal and external departments regarding electric metering and EV charging field operations issues.
- Manages performance and provides counseling, coaching and professional developmental opportunities for personnel. Actively promotes workplace diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the organization. Oversight of contractual issues as well as disciplinary actions for represented employees, which include electric meter testers, single phase meter technicians, instrument technicians, meter test electricians, EV technicians and apprentices.
- Develop and manage both Capital and OC department budgets. Develops and implements strategies and tactics to manage regional department and workstream spending associated with workload, work allocation, tooling, equipment, and vehicle expenditures to balance budget and maintain appropriate staffing and spending levels.
- Has responsibility for strategic planning of electric meter and EV charger field deployment for installation, maintenance, and special project needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience and training in engineering, business, or field operations.
- S. Diploma/GED
- 8 years’ experience in electric operations or operations analysis with increasing financial accountability.
- 3 years’ experience directly managing employees including performance management, training and development or equivalent experience in a senior lead capacity.
- Professional engineer license
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership ability to effectively work with employees at all levels as well as to lead and inspire a diverse workforce through a dynamic work environment.
- Display versatility, quick problem solving, handle multiple demands, and ability to work effectively with a variety of individual personalities and organizations.
- Knowledge of field safety policies and practices.
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Thorough understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), labor practices, the ability to engage represented employees, deal effectively with performance problems and thrive in a union environment.
- Ability to analyze and utilize complex data to formulate strategies and tactics, manage complex/ multifaceted, and effectively collaborate with internal and external business partners.
- Knowledge of company budgeting practices including financial systems such as SAP as well as knowledge of Scheduling and Dispatch systems and MS Office.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.