Electric Distribution Operations Technologist – 21-60730
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Performs complex professional work with computer hardware, software, and network systems in a control systems environment. Operation Technologist will install and support network servers including operating systems and applications software. This includes install and support personal computers, and network operations; provides hardware and software planning and evaluation; provides problem solving and training for end users; ensuring systems efficiency, reliability, and integrity.
This position is accountable for the following systems: network elements & associated infrastructure (including Windows, Linux, serial communication, storage back-ups, grid security, redundant systems, outage management systems, Wi-Fi, load balancers, serial-to-IP devices, network cabling (fiber and copper), uninterruptable power supplies), operations, support and maintenance to ensure high availability and continual innovation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and ensure availability of all hardware and software (including specialized applications such as OSI Soft PI, SCADA, DERMS, and OMS), server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Maintains and monitors all security systems and components relating to critical systems including control systems. Controls user access to critical systems by creating/deleting user accounts as needed and through periodic review.
- Performs necessary maintenance tasks for systems, applications, logs and databases; troubleshoot hardware and/or software applications malfunctions and errors and make recommendations on how to resolve and prevent future occurrences. Repair and recover from hardware and/or software applications failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Assists and supports other team members in resolving any operation issues that impact clients. Works with various 3rd parties to facilitate, manage and execute any special IT requirements.
- Successfully manage time and technical responsibilities, set accurate expectations and meet deliverable deadlines while working in a team and information-sharing environment.
- Collaborates with Control Systems and Support Administrators, Distribution System Operators and management staff to design, develop, enhance and manage the SCADA system used to monitor and control the electric distribution system during planned/routine switching and emergency conditions.
- Required to test, create and document specialized applications, databases, operating system platforms and SCADA controlled field sites.
- Assists or conducts application training on an individual or group basis with key operational personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience and/or training.
- 3+ System administration or computer system/network security experience, or operational experience supporting control system environments.
- Must possess working knowledge of software/application technologies encompassing: HP UNIX, Redhat Linux, OSI Soft PI, Oracle, Visual Basic, C++, Shell Programming, Business Objects and computer security.
- Database Server configuration and maintenance (Oracle).
- Strong understanding of DNS, DHCP, Certificate Services, LDAP, Group Policy, RS-232, TCP/IP, serial-to-IP, and LAN/WAN design and implementation.
- Ability to develop and recommend solutions to mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Must be able to understand and assess the current threat landscape as it applies to our business.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team providing guidance to analytical and technical personnel.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills in dealing with others both inside and outside the Company.
- Must have ability to effectively manage multiple projects that vary in complexity and priority.
- Must be skilled in using computer systems and standard Office software.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Should have demonstrated skills in organizing, planning, coordinating, delegating and controlling activities.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Technology certification (Microsoft, CISCO, etc.) is strongly desirable.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.