Distribution System Operator Trainer
About San Diego Gas & Electric
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Responsible for developing and delivering training to ensure SDG&E distribution system operating personnel (Journeymen/Trainees) are adequately trained, consistent with CPUC General Orders, NERC, WECC, and SDGE operating standards/procedures and training requirements. Must keep up to date with the ever-changing regulatory and operational requirements. All documentation and training efforts must be continually updated, and training requirements developed and presented to the Distribution System Operators/Trainees to conform to those changes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers initial training program materials to electric Distribution System Operator (DSO) trainees, on the 4 and 12 kV electric distribution system including substations.
- Learns and delivers initial training on the Network Management System (NMS) application and SCADA to Trainees.
- Develops simulations and train/test Distribution System Operators and Trainees on the NMS Training Simulator.
- Develops and delivers continual training to the journeyman Distribution System Operators.
- Prepares/revises training materials and ensure compliance with CPUC General Orders and NERC and WECC policy compliance.
- Participates in applicable regional Train the Trainer workshops and activities.
- Researches new equipment and applications and write training guides to facilitate training.
- Represents SDG&E at internal and external events.
- Provides assistance in guiding vendor efforts to develop additional detailed training materials.
- Reviews and revises standard operating documents (DOPs) to support training activities.
- Delivers authorization training to Distribution personnel and field crews throughout the company as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- This position requires a detailed knowledge of electric power system operations.
- Five years related experience is required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate technical information in a clear concise manner to the learning level of the student and have demonstrated ability in decision-making, prioritizing activities, coordination of training activities and multi-tasking.
- Must be proficient in computer applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point, etc) and have a working knowledge of NMS/SCADA.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- May be required to work extended hours, move around room to assist others, and travel to participate in outside activities.
- Must be able to distinguish colors.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree in relevant field is desired.
- Experience as a Distribution System Operator and previous experience as an instructor is highly desirable. Completion of Train the Trainer course with emphasis on systematic approach to training is required to continue in the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Competitive salaries
- Performance Incentives
- Cash balance pension program
- 401k with employer match
- Affordable healthcare, dental and vision
- Generous vacation and flex days
- Employee Giving Programs including charitable donations, volunteer incentive program, and scholarship programs
- Substantial educational reimbursement
- Employee Professional Development
- Passport card for significant discounts at local restaurants and entertainment venues
- On site cafes, walking trail, gym, yoga, chair massages