Distribution Policy Manger – 21-61972
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Responsible for developing and managing SDG&E’s policy and strategy for Distributed Energy Resources (DER). Represents SDG&E in regulatory and/or legislative proceedings at the CPUC, CEC, FERC, CA Legislature, DOE, local government, etc. Consults and collaborates with subject matter experts, including business, financial, and operational groups on strategy and to ensure policy alignment and consistency across SDG&E business units. Manage or partner with Procurement on SDG&E’s solicitations (e.g., RFOs/RFP) for DER.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and provides policy positions and strategy leadership to Electric System Planning on regulatory and legislative (policy) proceedings. Represents the company in matters relating to DER, such as increasing reliability, efficiency and safety of the power grid. Organizes corporate-wide case teams and ensure consistent management in various policy proceedings. Ensures policy consistency across SDG&E.
- Speaks and partners with public forums to promote SDG&E’s policy positions. Maintains ongoing relations with parties that routinely participate in DER policy proceedings. The public outreach may be national, state and local. Coordinates with External Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, and engineering functions to ensure consistent policy on DER issues. Provides presentations to utility stakeholders, and executives on related project issues. Maintains ongoing relations with parties that routinely intervene in energy proceedings. Provides information/guidance to others in leadership positions regarding SDG&E DER policy, strategies, and projects.
- Partners with various policy managers (FERC, CPUC, etc.) who ensures consistent development of the regulatory strategy and tactics to be pursued at each DER proceeding including: establishing the case plan and schedule; preparation of all case materials including applications, petitions, comments, discovery responses, motions, testimony and exhibits; inform necessary personnel of case progress and major issues or problems; ensure that all work proceeds on schedule and comply with the case team’s agreed upon objectives; builds coalitions and solicits support from other utilities and interested parties; analyze and summarize intervening parties’ positions and pleadings; negotiate any settlement agreements or stipulations; oversee any staff or outside audits to be conducted in the case; inform affected personnel of actions called for in agency decisions or rulings; working with the analysis and tariff groups, ensure that the necessary steps are taken to implement all regulatory requirements established as a result of the case.
- Identifies opportunities and threats to business related to or arising from DER and develops strategies and policy objectives to align with SDG&E’s goals.
- Identifies and documents inter-dependencies between evolving state policies/objectives for DER.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Business, Accounting, Political Science, law, public policy or related or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 6+ years – Related regulatory experience.
- Working knowledge of the energy industry and changing state/federal regulatory environments, including the ability to understand key and complex regulatory, legislative and competitive issues facing the company.
- Strong project management and organizational skills (deadline oriented) required.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills required, including effective negotiation and persuasive skills.
- Requires the ability to positively influence others, gains respect, cooperation, and support.
- 5+ years – Experience in the energy industry and in policy-related areas.
- Commercial negotiation/solicitation experience desired.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.