Distribution Planning Design Team Lead – 21-61073
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Leads and guides the designers in the section. Responsibilities include assignment of designers to projects, prioritize work for design team, review designer work and ensure accuracy and consistency, assist the Electric Distribution Engineering team on new or revised standards, and assist Capital Portfolio Management with the budgeting and scheduling process. Provides coordination, monitor progress, interpret results and ensure timely completion of assignments. Identifies actual or potential problem areas and develop corrective actions to be taken. Provides leadership, technical advice, training and guidance. Recommends new and improved practices and procedures related to distribution design, scheduling, cost estimating, compliance and other relevant areas. Keeps informed of technical developments, industry code changes, and changes in safety requirements, which have impact upon distribution facilities.
Maintains frequent contact with customers, both internally and externally, to ensure strong and positive customer experience and service. May be required to testify at regulatory meetings. May also be required to attend public meetings related to distribution facilities, distribution projects or other related matters. Normally works in an office area; however, project assignments may involve extensive field work over an extended period of time. Domestic travel may be required for this position on a rare occasion.
Manages the related contracts and vendors and approves invoice payments to ensure compliance with the contracts. Ensures compliance with Federal, State, and Local regulations. Participates in training programs, seminars and workshops to provide technical and compliance support requirements. Participates in hiring, promoting and training of subordinate employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and manages distribution designers.
- Reviews designs and job packages.
- Manages consultants (project assignments, review, invoices, contract negotiations).
- Provides day to day supervision, coaching, training and development for direct reports.
- Attends and/or leads meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, technical, business field or equivalent experience
- 5+ Related experience in design or engineering.
- Must be thoroughly knowledgeable in more advanced engineering concepts.
- Must be thoroughly knowledgeable with PLS-CADD software.
- Has thorough understanding of: business practices, job processes, engineering principles, OH, UG and Gas Standards, Design Manual, Service Planning Manual, Service Guide and CPUC Rules.
- Uses a high degree of ingenuity, analytical ability and judgment in identifying problems and impacts of complex engineering studies.
- The ability to demonstrate leadership through exhibiting the core Sempra values and has a strong focus on teamwork and achieving department and corporate goals.
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills and computer systems: DPSS, CISCO, GFMS, PM Works, GIS, AutoCAD, Outlook.
- Experience in the Customer Project Planner position and experience in the Senior Customer Project Planner position.
- Past supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the distribution system, regulatory requirements, and knowledge about the capital budget process is highly desirable.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Professional Engineering license is desired.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.