Customer Payments Advisor
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Responsible for timely and accurate posting of customer payments, maintaining a high level of specialized knowledge of various payment channels and recognized as an expert in this area. Supports manager in overseeing workflow management and ensuring that all related financial transactions are precise and performed in SAP according to utility accounting practices. Performs detailed financial reporting and accounting assignments, including preparation of complex financial transactions, reports, and related analysis for regulatory and senior management audiences. Makes recommendations on operational and accounting issues within functional area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees daily posting and reconciliation of all channels of customer payments. Identifies discrepancies and provides solutions. Provides advice to team members for issue resolution and reconciliation.
- Gathers and interprets data, performs detailed and complex financial analysis. Creates reporting and financial tracking tools. Presents data to various levels of management in the appropriate format and makes recommendations based on analytical analysis and results.
- Collaborates with Financial Accounting, Cash Management and external banks to resolve discrepancies and implement process revisions.
- Ensures all accounting entries are accurate and company revenues are recorded according to standard accounting principles, including month-end close and general ledger validation and certification.
- Interprets accounting, regulatory and financial theory and concepts, and develops options and potential solutions to the company’s current business and regulatory issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree Accounting, finance, economics, related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 5 years – Accounting, banking, finance, business management, or analytics experience.
- Ability to analyze a problem, identify issues, and develop alternative recommendations to address/resolve issues.
- Ability to analyze data and report out findings.
- Ability to communicate across various levels of the organization. Verbal and written communications must be clear, concise and adaptable for specific audiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Positively influence others by action or example.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Excel and Access along with the capability to learn SAP to maintain accounting and financial records and extract/compile data for preparation of reports and data analysis.
- Proven understanding of generally accepted accounting principals.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.