Construction Manager (Gas) #21-58892
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means 40% of the energy that SDG&E delivers to customers comes from renewable sources, exceeding California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. We are modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Oversee construction activities and resources responsible for the construction of utility infrastructure and related facilities, performed mainly by contracted vendors. Manage internal staff and ensure budget compliance in accordance with project plans and documents. Oversee gas or electric construction activities to ensure that construction standards, safety regulations, company policies/procedures, environmental requirements, and State/Federal regulations are met.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Construction Contract Management: Monitor and determine accurate staffing, equipment and fleet requirements, work schedules and work assignments. Provide approval of required field documentation for invoice payment. Review daily record of progress, monitor and streamline communication, conduct intermittent site meetings, monitor FCAs and Contractor performance. Oversee inspection reports and results, ensure the quality of as-built deliverables, and monitor punch-list items. Maintain and support document control system to include: contract documents, correspondence/meeting minutes, site reports, drawing logs, submittals, punch-lists. Require and ensure maintenance of proper documentation to support negotiated change orders and/or to assist in claim disputes. Ensure progress back-up submittals, field conditions and progress payments line-up. Spot checks quantities, materials, labor, and equipment costs against estimates and drawing specifications. Work closely with the Business Control Group to monitor and resolve delays in invoicing and payments.
- Field Construction Advisors (FCAs) supervision: Assess and distribute workload assignments based on work plan and organization resources. Train, motivate and mentor team members. Develop metrics, set goals and targets, and create a culture of accountability. Responsible for all aspects of employee management, including performance management, training and development. Is responsible for hiring, firing, promotions, etc.
- Construction Oversight: Ensure compliance with all safety and environmental requirements and regulations related to electric and gas construction. Manage staff responsible for oversight of construction activities. Manage resource allocations (contractor assignments), RFPs and recommendations for project assignments and revisions. Attend coordination meetings and monitor schedule milestones, productivity and material shortages. Solve problems and handle escalated issues in a timely and decisive manner to ensure project success. Monitor contractors’ work methods, construction procedures, materials utilized and adherence to schedules. Preside over pre-bid, pre-construction and progress meetings as appropriate.
- Construction Planning Oversight: Oversee and review the organization and mobilization plan. Review site layout plan, temporary facilities, plan outages, site access, construction yards, and safety measures. Facilitate safety meetings, morning tailgates, construction manager meetings and compliance training. Oversee quality assurance/quality control plan implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties.
- H.S. Diploma/GED High School Diploma or equivalency.
- 8 years – Construction experience. Utility construction experience desired (i.e. Construction Supervisor, Lineman, or Line/Gas Foreman). Must be knowledgeable of construction procedures, standards, material and equipment.
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Requires strong analytical, judgment and administrative skills.
- This is a DOT safety sensitive position. A pre-assignment drug test may be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree Engineering, Construction, related field or equivalent training and experience.
- Management and leadership skills strongly desirable. Supervisory experience highly desirable/preferable.
- Working knowledge of computers required. Experience with DPSS, CPD, and SAP highly desirable.
*The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the California Public Utilities Commission have adopted regulations governing the control of drug use by persons in certain job classifications. This job is covered by that regulation (49 CFR 199) and candidates who are not already in a covered job classification will be tested for the presence of prohibited drugs and must meet DOT standards before appointment to the job. Once in the job, successful candidates will be subject to random drug testing.
Please apply directly to our SDG&E Career Site:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.