21-60263 – Equipment Operations Supervisor
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Supervises Electric Regional Operations (ERO) Equipment Operations Group to ensure support of capital infrastructure projects and programs (CNF, DIAR, WMP, Reliability and Capacity), as well as maintenance programs (CMP) in gas and electric transmission, distribution, and substations. Ensures timely equipment support response to unplanned gas and electric outages and emergencies. Responsible for ensuring the proper application and operation of transportation vehicles and field construction equipment used throughout the company’s service territory by multiple operational commodities. Lead and/or participate in Equipment Operations contract negotiations and renewals as a subject matter expert for contracted services and materials with a cumulative term value of ~$50M. Integral in ERO invoice approval process and SOX compliance for 3rd party vendor support Construction and Operations for all ERO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Equipment Operations and special equipment dispatch function, including management of vendors. Supervise represented Equipment Operators and oversight of all vehicle and special equipment dispatch functions. Monitor the usage of vehicles and equipment to ensure that their operation complies with approved methods and practices. Recommend modifications to equipment, methods, and practices as necessary. Verify authorizations and permits are obtained for the operation of vehicles and construction equipment on private and public property. Coordinate with the Equipment Operations Dispatcher to determine construction equipment type and size required and the methods of hauling to ensure compliance with the Motor Vehicle codes. Monitor and make real-time adjustments for routine work and pre-arranged work based on Operator and district crew availability. Coordinate with vendors to support scheduled or emergency workload as necessary. Assign and dispatch equipment/vehicle operators according to classification, qualifications, and seniority to construction job sites to meet operating requirements daily. Maintain On Duty Supervisor (ODS) responsibilities and coverage in rotation with other Equipment Operations leadership. Prepare job packages with assignment of equipment/vehicle operators according to classification, qualifications, and seniority to construction job sites to meet operating requirements daily. Coordinate with Fleet Equipment design team for the replacement of various pieces of aging equipment.
- Perform field safety visits to ensure adherence to company standards, safety policies, and Equipment Operator competency. Assist with the mitigation of jobsite safety issues or concerns. Field check as needed, pre-fielding construction conditions, to determine vehicle and equipment requirements. Communicate with the Construction Supervisors and job designers to address and mitigate any potential conflicts or working restrictions, or to educate them on the proper equipment to be used. Direct the grading and restoring of construction site access roads. Determine routes for delivery of construction equipment to job sites.
- Manage Equipment Operations personnel training program in accordance with Letter of Understanding. Investigate and administer all discipline for represented employees. Conduct bi-weekly department safety meetings and participate in monthly and quarterly safety meetings. Schedule safety topics and guest speakers as appropriate.
- Develop strategies to ensure compliance with all safety and environmental requirements and regulations related to electric construction, emergency response, restoration of service, fire safety, Red Flag, and storm related activities. Ensure adequate workflow and resolve conflicts with the scheduling and dispatch department. Make business recommendations regarding equipment and core services with a focus on the best overall value proposition for SDG&E. Participate in the hiring and promotion of subordinate employees, train subordinates, assigns, direct and ensure all work complies with Company Diversity and Inclusion programs to achieve equal opportunity objectives. Manage ERO invoice approval program in accordance with SOX. Develop and manage cost center budget, periodic activity, and report to director. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with manager peer team, employees, functional staff.
- Responsible for the application of third party contracts and resources if Equipment Operations is not able to perform a core function. Responsible for Equipment Operator training and compliance. Responsible for bare rent, crane, and operated rentals contracts at ~50 million per year. Ensure effective execution of all government mandated training /programs (CDL, DMV Pull, etc.) and SDG&E required training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- H.S. Diploma/GED
- 5 years Vehicle and equipment operations or related operational experience.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to coach and lead the work group.
- Must have the ability to communicate operating goals.
- Covey sense of urgency and accountability with Union workforce.
- Foster a team environment which promotes cooperative problem resolution.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Knowledge of construction equipment, safety and field knowledge of gas and electric systems.
- Must demonstrate a strong customer focus.
- Be able to think cross-functionally across the Utility.
- Think strategically and tectically.
- Must possess good oral and written and communication skills.
- Basic mathematical skills for the development and management of the budget.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license. Safety Sensitive position, DOT drug test may be required.
- 2 years Previous experience in supervision required; experience supervising/leading represented personnel.
- Technical/Vocational Heavy Equipment, Mechanical, Industrial.
- Bachelor’s Degree General Studies, Finance, Business.
- Must support 24 hour response and ability to navigate to job sites in order to provide safety oversight. On Call responsibility, must be able to work extended hours.
To apply for this position, please visit our SDG&E Career Website:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.