21-59829 — Senior Cloud Engineer
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Leverages extensive experience, industry best practices, and vendor relationships to ensure the implementation, stability and availability of the cloud (private and public) platforms to enable the company’s business objectives. Technically embraces and provides examples to ensure adoption of new scrum agile principles, as well as Site Reliability Engineering (SRE). Participates in the strategy and roadmap for cloud platforms and SRE practice. Works cross-functionally with software development teams and operational support. Assists in decision making under the guidance of the Sr Cloud Architect.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Builds Infrastructure as Code (IaC) framework, including toolsets, processes and methodologies.
- Establishes patterns and provide End to End management of critical IaC flows.
- Responsible for Service Design, deployment support, maintenance of IaC services post go-live.
- Responsible for service lifecycle improvement from inception through deployment, to operations and iterative refining.
- Creates technical documentation on applicable tools/services/processes.
- Effectively partners with and drives change through cross-functional teams to inject HA requirements into services, and facilitates smooth non-customer impacting deployments in Development, Testing, Quality Assurance (QA) and Production.
- Participates in high level RCA and drives recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Communicates with technical and non-technical audiences including senior leadership to provide regular updates.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related field) or equivalent experience.
- 5 years – System Orchestration and Automation, Architectural Standardization, and IT infrastructure engineering. Extensive hands on experience with Cloud Infrastructure Engineering technologies (firewalls, load balancers, storage, monitoring, security, etc.). Including demonstrable experience in production operations of services and applications required, including experience managing IT infrastructure projects. Including 3 years advanced experience in Scrum Agile, Configuration management (Ansible) and GitHub.
- Ability to deliver highly scalable software in the cloud.
- Ability to drive development of automation tools around deployment, scaling and operational processes.
- Skilled at design with resiliency and redundancy in mind.Strong technical background and solid project driving abilities.
- Extensive working knowledge of Infrastructure Engineering technologies (e.g., firewalls, load balancers, storage, monitoring, security, etc.).
- Extensive experiences in Cloud host provision and management
- Expert understanding of IaaS, PaaS, IaC.
- Exceptional scripting skills in two or more of Shell, Python, Perl, Ruby
- Expert Understanding of Development Operations (DevOps).
- Strong follow-up and organizational skills.
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Strong deductive reasoning, critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with outside vendors, professional organizations, peer groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with information technology issues and trends.
- Strong command of English language (written and oral) at a business level is required.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas and strategies effectively.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Relevant Cloud Certifications.
- Information Technology Infrastructure Libraries (ITIL) / IT Service Management (ITSM) experience and incident response management experience desirable.
To apply for the position, please visit our SDG&E Career website: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=2168707&%3Bd=SempraSDGE
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.