Director – Clean Transportation
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
The Director — Clean Transportation will develop, advocate and lead innovative programs to advance the adoption of clean transportation as it supports the utility’s growth strategy, business plans and customer objectives. This position manages and provides guidance to management level staff who support regulatory filings, agency advocacy, financial analysis, customer engagement and analytics, and business development. The Director — Clean Transportation is responsible for establishing and communicating the team’s strategic vision to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops broad strategies to ensure success of Clean Transportation projects and goals.
- Directs the vision and strategic development, implementation, and management of SDG&E’s Clean Transportation initiatives.
- Maintains relationships with key industry stakeholders regarding electric, hybrid electric, and new fuel vehicle technologies, assisting in creating opportunities for new technologies, investment growth and expanded markets.
- Provides expertise in clean transportation regulatory and legislative matters. May be required to testify at regulatory proceedings and participate in workshops, legislative and agency meetings.
- Develops work scope, budget, schedule, resource requirements and manages key initiatives including developing key performance indices to monitor success.
- Leads and guides the department including goal setting, management, and problem solving.
- Makes key decisions relative to the success of the Clean Transportation department, including implementing strategies leading to efficiencies, effectiveness and growth within the utility’s core business.
- Communicates program goals and achievements with executives and other company leadership.
- Presents to senior management and other company leadership.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Requires 12+ years of experience in positions of continuously increasing responsibility within the energy/utility industry, including 3 years supervisory experience required.
- Must have a strong understanding of the clean transportation technology and policy landscape.
- Must possess strong leadership, program management, teambuilding, change management, negotiating, judgment and motivational skills.
- Must have persuasive oral communications skills necessary for dealing with a wide range of internal and external audiences.
- Strong presentation skills for formal and informal presentations to Senior Management.
- Strong decision-making skills required to facilitate timely and effective management decisions.
- Ability to develop a highly competent team and achieve maximum results by empowering, motivating and coaching employees.
- Demonstrated analytical reasoning ability, innovation and openness to new ideas. Able to easily grasp complex issues and ideas.
- MBA or advanced degree preferred.